[Humanist] 28.298 events: information and communication technologies

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Aug 29 07:03:48 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:56:36 +0100
        From: Blyth Tilly <Tilly.Blyth at SCIENCEMUSEUM.AC.UK>
        Subject: 'Interpreting the Information Age' conference at Science Museum - open for bookings - FREE!

Dear colleagues,

In October 2014, the Science Museum, London, will open a new permanent
gallery, Information Age. The gallery will expose, examine and celebrate how
information and communication technologies have transformed our lives over
the last 200 years. To mark this launch, the Museum is hosting a free, three
day conference which will discuss how the history and material culture of
information can be made relevant for today's audiences.

>From the development of global telegraph and computer networks, the creation
of constellations of satellites that silently orbit our earth, and the
growth of radio, telephony and cellular networks; each technology can be
understood through a network of people, practices, devices and
infrastructure. Approaches which focus on overly technical histories,
individual innovation or inevitable progress fail to acknowledge the role of
users in the history of technologies and marginalise a majority of readers
or visitors who are engaged by human stories and social history. By
contrast, Information Age has taken a user-centric approach, not only in the
stories and objects selected for display, but in the way the gallery has
been designed and developed. Participation with a diverse range of audiences
has been at the heart of the process, providing new avenues for research,
fresh perspectives on our collections and original ways to interpret the
information networks of which we are all part.

This conference will combine reflections on collecting practice and academic
related to information, showcase innovative approaches to interpreting and
displaying this content, and examine the opportunities and challenges of
working in partnership with audiences to bring the collections to life.

To book a place, please visit
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/about_us/new_research_folder/information
_age_conference

We look forward to seeing you in November!

Jen

Jen Kavanagh | Audience Engagement ManagerInformation Age gallery project
Science Museum
Exhibition Road
London
SW7 2DD