[Humanist] 28.276 Word Lab at Penn

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 09:53:21 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:31:16 -0400
        From: Molly Des Jardin <mdesjardin at gmail.com>
        Subject: Penn Libraries' WORD LAB kick-off event September 9

Dear Humanist-

I'm writing to announce a new research interest group at Penn Libraries,
organized by myself and Katie Rawson, called WORD LAB. It aims to bring
together researchers in the community to discuss ongoing projects and
developments in all fields related to text analysis broadly, with a hope
that it will have a strong digital humanities component. Because we're
trying to reach as much of the regional community as possible, I thought
I'd share this with Humanist in case anyone in the Philly region is
interested in attending our kick-off event on Tuesday, September 9, or
future meetings. They will be every 2 weeks, on Tuesdays from 1:30-3 pm.

Please read more in the invite below.

Regards,

Molly C. Des Jardin, PhD
Japanese Studies Librarian
University of Pennsylvania
http://www.mollydesjardin.com
@mdesjardin

---

You’re invited to the WORD LAB kick off event on Tuesday, September 9, from
1:30-3 in Vitale II (on the 6th floor of Van Pelt Library). This event
gathers together colleagues from across the university who are interested
in text analysis of all kinds, to learn about the WORD LAB research group
starting in the fall. We’ll introduce ourselves and learn about each
other’s research and study interests and ongoing projects.

WORD LAB is a research group for scholars working on text analysis to
discuss projects, share methods and findings, and to promote this kind of
research at Penn. Though the research may be either independent or
collaborative, scholars at WORD LAB will engage in exploring questions and
solving problems together. The cohort is not limited to advanced scholars:
it makes room for those new to the field who are interested in developing
their research in text analysis from any number of disciplinary angles. Our
agenda will emerge directly from the questions researchers in the cohort
are encountering as they work.

WORD LAB meets every other Tuesday, starting September 23, from 1:30-3pm in
Vitale II, in Van Pelt Library. These meetings are a place for colleagues
to share research progress, methodologies, questions, and new developments
in text analysis, with at least one presentation per meeting. In addition
to providing a venue for sharing research, WORD LAB will include open work
time in the Vitale II lab on weeks with no meeting.

If you are attending as a non-Penn affiliate, please bring photo ID to the
library for entry.

For more information, please contact Katie Rawson (krawson at pobox.upenn.edu)
or Molly Des Jardin (mollydes at upenn.edu). WORD LAB is in its formative
stages, so feedback of all kinds is welcome.