[Humanist] 28.272 call for participants: signs of illness in works of art?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Aug 21 07:20:01 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 15:51:53 +0000
        From: Ashley S Mowrey <asmowrey at dons.usfca.edu>
        Subject: Dissertation participants

Hello Dr. McCarty,

My name is Ashley Mowrey, M.A.  I am a doctoral candidate in the Clinical Forensic Psychology program at Alliant International University, California School of Forensic Studies in San Francisco.  For my dissertation, I am investigating whether there are characteristics of art, specifically in paintings, that psychologists judge to be indicative or reflective of mental illness. This study will also explore whether psychologists of different theoretical orientations differ in their willingness to make such judgments, and whether there are differences among them in regard to which aesthetic characteristics of art are the most salient in making such judgments.
I would like to ask for your assistance by forwarding this request to your members through your listserv.

I am requesting participation from any independently licensed psychologist between the ages of 18 and 65 who understands written English, and who identifies as having a primarily cognitive behavioral, psychodynamic, or humanistic theoretical orientation. Participation will be anonymous, and will be conducted entirely online.  After reading and agreeing to informed consent, participants will be shown images of artwork from a number of painters, some of whom have a current or past diagnosis of severe mental illness (schizophrenia, major depression, or bipolar disorder), and some of whom have do not.  They will be asked to view the images and to indicate, for each piece, whether they believe the artist is likely to have or to have had a severe mental illness, or if they are unwilling or unable to make a judgment.  If they are willing to make a judgment, they will be given definitions and examples of the major aesthetic characteristics used to describe paintings, and then asked to indicate what characteristics of the painting contributed most strongly to their judgment.  They will also be asked to fill out a brief questionnaire asking about their theoretical orientation, education, experience administering and scoring projective tests, and familiarity with art therapy interventions and techniques.  (Please note that no such familiarity is required or expected.)
Participation is expected to require between 30 minutes and one and one-half hours, depending on how familiar someone is with the language used to describe specific aesthetic characteristics of art and how common it is for them to view art from a psychological perspective.  The study does not have to be completed in a single visit; participants may save their answers, exit, and return to the site at a later time as often as needed.  There is no monetary or other compensation.

If you wish to participate, please go to https://alliant.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_1Nu76PjaN2XqHvD to log on.  If you have questions or with additional information, please feel free to contact me at amowrey at alliant.edu<mailto:amowrey at alliant.edu> or 415-663-6214.  You may also contact my faculty supervisor, Dr. Joanna Pashdag, at jpashdag at alliant.edu<mailto:jpashdag at alliant.edu> or 415-955-2037.  Anyone with questions or concerns about the conduct of the research may contact the Alliant International University San Francisco Institutional Research Board at irb-sf at alliant.edu<mailto:irb-sf at alliant.edu> or  415-955-2151.

Thank you very much!
Ashley Mowrey, M.A.

Ashley Mowrey, M.A.
PsyD Student, Clinical Forensic Psychology
California School of Forensic Studies
Alliant International University- San Francisco Campus
amowrey at alliant.edu
415-637-0672