[Humanist] 28.257 events: early stage researchers; archaeology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Aug 13 10:28:28 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Internet & Gesellschaft Kolloquium"                      (96)
                <colloquium at hiig.de>
        Subject: EXTENDED 2nd Call for Participation: Berlin Early Stage
                Researchers Colloquium 2014

  [2]   From:    Tom Brughmans <tom.brughmans at yahoo.com>                   (29)
        Subject: Call for sessions CAA 2015 Siena, Italy

        Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:41:47 +0200
        From: "Internet & Gesellschaft Kolloquium" <colloquium at hiig.de>
        Subject: EXTENDED 2nd Call for Participation: Berlin Early Stage Researchers Colloquium 2014

EXTENDED

Hereby the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society
announces the annual colloquium held in Berlin, 9 October 2014. We wish to
gather early stage researchers (Ph.D. candidates and post-docs) from all
disciplines in order to drive forward the discussion on topics in the field
of Internet research. The colloquium provides a stage for new perspectives
on current issues of Internet and society.

== BERLIN EARLY STAGE RESEARCHERS COLLOQUIUM 2014 ==

Early stage researchers (Ph.D. candidates and post-docs) from all
disciplines are invited to push ahead with the discussion revolving around
Internet research.

Conference: 09 October 2014 in Berlin

EXTENDED Submission Deadline: 17 August 2014:

Online submission via: http://colloquium.hiig.
de/index.php/esrc/esrc2014/schedConf/cfp

TOPICS 2014

This year’s colloquium will consist of two thematically focused tracks. We
cordially invite you to submit your research projects on one of the
following two topics:

*1. PAY PER PIXEL*

In the near future, we will be paying for movies according to the size of
the screen that it is displayed on, as stated by Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO of
DreamWorks Animation. Whether that will actually happen remains to be seen,
however it is clear that business models are changing rapidly due to the
digital switch and correspondingly changing user expectations and
behaviours. In the ESRC we will talk about how audiovisual media (e.g. film,
animation, games, television etc) can cope with these dynamic circumstances.
In specific on how new business models occur that adjust to the changing
viewing behavior of users. What implications does this have on copyright
legislation and on data protection as well as on the norms and regulations
that emerge outside the legal realm? We regard this theme from a
multidisciplinary perspective, and welcome contributions from the area of
media studies, law, social sciences and economics. During the session,
academics and people working in the field will participate in the discussion
and provide a practical angle. » MORE
<http://colloquium.hiig.de/index.php/esrc/esrc2014/schedConf/trackPolicies#track0>

*2. PRIVATE INFORMATION – OPEN DEBATES*

Privacy debates in the age of the Internet are prominent focal points of all
the challenges arising from increased network connection, new data
generation and collection techniques and conflicting cultural values. In the
ESRC, we want to explore the governance of privacy works on a global scale.
What are the global governance challenges of privacy? How is privacy
understood and perceived in different fora and what does that mean for
governing privacy? We welcome perspectives from all disciplines and from
theoretical and empirical backgrounds to contribute to our debate on
governance and privacy. During the session there will be very brief
five-minute inputs by the authors of the papers and ample of room for
discussion and the generation of new ideas. » MORE
<http://colloquium.hiig.de/index.php/esrc/esrc2014/schedConf/trackPolicies#track1>

PARTICIPANT GUIDELINES

You can apply for two types of participation at the colloquium:

*1. Paper presentation*

Please feel invited to submit theoretical, practical or experimental
research work. We kindly ask you to follow these submission guidelines:

# An abstract outlining the relevance of the topic, the research method and
questions. Max. 300 words/1800 characters with spaces (possibly printed in
the programme)

# A short paper providing more detailed information about your research. 2
to max. 8 pages; File type: PDF

# Short CV. Max. 2 pages; File type: PDF

*2. Participation only*

Please state, why you would like to join the discussion and briefly describe
your research or working background:

# A short statement outlining your personal motivation, your connection to
the topic and your working background. Max. 300 words/1800 characters with
spaces (possibly printed in the programme)

# Optional: Articles or papers that may underline your motivation or tell us
more about your background.

More documents possible. Possible file types: PDF, PNG or JPG # Optional:
Short CV. Max. 2 pages; File type: PDF

*The submission process closes on 1 August 2014. Please note that you need
to register in order to submit a proposal.*

SIDE EVENT

Alongside the Colloquium a thematically focused meeting on Internet
Governance will take place on 09 and 10 October 2014, approaching governance
in the dimensions of actors, technology and content and including a panel
discussion on "Multi stakeholder approach: Legitimate self-regulation or
simply lobbyism". We warmly invite you to join us and our guests during
these two days to gain insight into this key issue within the I&S research
community.

More information on the event can be found online on www.colloquium.hiig.de.
For questions please contact Larissa Wunderlich (colloquium at hiig.de).

==  COLLOQUIUM.HIIG.DE  http://colloquium.hiig.de/  ==

-- http://www.hiig.de/  Larissa Wunderlich | Projektmanagerin
Veranstaltungen und Wissenstransfer Alexander von Humboldt Institut für
Internet und Gesellschaft gGmbH Bebelplatz 1 · 10099 Berlin

T +49 30 20 93-3490 · F +49 30 20 93-3435 ·  www.hiig.de ·
Gesellschaftssitz Berlin | Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg | HRB 140911B
USt-ID DE 27/601/54619 | Geschäftsführung: Dr. Jeanette Hofmann · Prof.
Dr. Dr. Ingolf Pernice · Prof. Dr. Dr. Thomas Schildhauer · Prof. Dr.
Wolfgang Schulz · Dr. Karina Preiß