[Humanist] 28.253 Yoko Ono: honorary digital humanist?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Aug 11 06:55:36 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 15:44:52 -0400
        From: Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>
        Subject: Yoko Ono: honorary digital humanist?

Willard

This bit from Yoko Ono, _Grapefruit: A book of instructions_ (1970)
reminds me of some of the steps in marking up a text and running the
numbers. What it leaves intact for me is the mystery of reading...

NUMBER PIECE I<BR>
<BR>
Count all the words in the book<br>
instead of reading them.<BR>
<BR><BR>
NUMBER PIECE II<BR>
<BR>
Replace nouns in the book with numbers<Br>
and read.<BR>
Replace adjectives in the book with<br>
numbers and read.<BR>
Replace all the words in the book with<BR>
numbers and read.<BR>
<BR><BR><BR>
1961 winter

Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

to think is often to sort, to store and to shuffle: humble, embodied tasks