[Humanist] 28.252 the paradigmatic Suda On Line

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Aug 10 11:26:44 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 16:32:04 +0000
        From: "Hutton, William E" <wehutt at WM.EDU>
        Subject: Suda On Line milestone

[Allow me by way of this exclamatory preface to urge you to read the following through and follow the links to the Suda Online itself, the Stoa Consortium and Mahoney's article, whatever your field(s) of specialization. SOL is indeed "a unique paradigm of digital scholarly collaboration", which should not remain unique. Or does it already have progeny we should know about? --WM]

Chances are you've seen some version of this announcement already, but here's the official version:

The Managing Editors of the Suda On Line are pleased to announce that a translation of the last of the >31,000 entries in the Suda was recently submitted to the SOL database and vetted.   This means that the first English translation of the entire Suda lexicon (a vitally important source for Classical and Byzantine studies), as well as the first continuous commentary on the Suda’s contents in any language, is now searchable and browsable through our on-line database (http://www.stoa.org/sol).

Conceived in 1998, the SOL was one of the first new projects that the late Ross Scaife brought under the aegis of the Stoa Consortium (www.stoa.org), and from the beginning we have benefited from the cooperation and support of the TLG and the Perseus Digital Library.  After sixteen years, SOL remains, as it was when it began, a unique paradigm of digital scholarly collaboration, demonstrating the potential of new technical and editorial methods of organizing, evaluating and disseminating scholarship.

To see a brief history of the project, go to http://www.stoa.org/sol/history.shtml, and for further background see Anne Mahoney’s article in Digital Humanities Quarterly (http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/003/1/000025/000025.html). The SOL has already proved to be a catalyst for new scholarship on the Suda, including the identification – as possible, probable, or certain – of many hundreds more of the Suda’s quotations than previously recognised. To see a list of these identifications, with links to the Suda entries in question, please visit http://www.stoa.org/sol/TLG.shtml.

Although all the entries are translated, our work is not done. One of the principles of SOL is that there will never be any limit to the improvement that the contents of our database can undergo.   From here on our editors will be scrutinizing every entry for opportunities to introduce improvements to the translations, additions to the annotations, updates to the associated bibliography, and so on.

We also invite the participation of qualified scholars who can contribute their expertise toward the betterment of SOL.  If you are interested in working on the project, please visit our home page and follow the appropriate link to submit an on-line application to be registered as an editor.

If you are already registered as an editor for SOL, and want to get back to work on it after a long layoff, feel free to contact the Managing Editors if you need help getting started (sudatores at lsv.uky.edu<mailto:sudatores at lsv.uky.edu>).  Also, those who have registered before as translators or guests may submit a request to the Managing Editors to have their status changed to that of editor.

The Managing Editors (David Whitehead, Raphael Finkel, William Hutton, Catharine Roth, Patrick Rourke, Elizabeth Vandiver)