[Humanist] 28.245 pubs: complex networks; critical making cfp; grad training cfp; Dictionary of Welsh

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Aug 5 19:27:47 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    etcl <etcl at uvic.ca>                                       (11)
        Subject: Graduate Training in the 21st Century

  [2]   From:    Andrew Hawke <ach at aber.ac.uk>                            (146)
        Subject: Re:  28.231 pubs: Dictionary of the Welsh Language
                (Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru)

  [3]   From:    Maximilian Schich <maximilian at schich.info>                (28)
        Subject: Digital Humanities in Science and Nature

  [4]   From:    "Barness, Jessica" <jbarness at kent.edu>                    (24)
        Subject: CFP Critical Making: Design & the Digital Humanities -
                Visible Language special issue

        Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:01:38 +0000
        From: etcl <etcl at uvic.ca>

MediaCommons and #Alt-Academy have just launched a new project, Graduate Training in the 21st Century, which focuses on the challenges, the potential, and the pragmatics of the graduate school years that precede the move into one of many academies.

Its editors, Melissa Dalgleish (York University) and Daniel Powell (King's College London and University of Victoria), are especially interested in the changes to graduate education that are already taking place, or that should take place, in response to the proliferation of post-PhD pathways.

The project's front page can be found here: http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/alt-ac/cluster/graduate-training-21st-century, while the longer introduction can be seen here: http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/alt-ac/pieces/building-alternative-academy.

We are seeking contributors to our first cluster of essays, entitled "Beyond the Proto-Monograph: New Models for the Dissertation." This cluster seeks to explore how the prototypical graduate project in the humanities—the dissertation—is changing in the face of the digital turn, shifting job markets, and new visions for the academy. The call for papers can be found here: http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/alt-ac/pieces/call-papers-beyond-proto-monograph-new-models-dissertation

We also welcome proposals or contributions on any aspect of graduate training, higher education reform, and post-degree careers, especially from current graduate students. We can be reached at gradtraining21c at gmail.com<mailto:gradtraining21c at gmail.com>.

We look forward to hearing what you have to say!

Melissa and Daniel

***

Daniel Powell | Doctoral Candidate
Electronic Textual Cultures Lab | Department of English | University of Victoria
www.djp2025.com http://www.djp2025.com/  | @djp2025