[Humanist] 27.1007 editorial matters

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Apr 30 07:50:27 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 17:44:18 +0900
        From: Charles Muller <acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 27.1001 some editorial matters

Willard wrote:

> But since the new procedure was initiated I've noticed that the number
> of those who respond to the automatic message is significantly less than
> the number who apply. On the one hand this can be viewed as eliminating
> those of insufficient determination, and so good; on the other it can be
> viewed as unnecessarily harsh, and so bad. I worry.

I have been for almost 2 decades the lead editor of an academic mail
list that deals with religion. In the beginning, we had a lot of trouble
with various types of religious practitioners and religious extremists
who joined, and who were often vocal in their disdain for the views of
scholars who joined the list. So we had no recourse but to change to a
subscription system that included a query that required an intelligent
response.

I never heard of any good scholar being put off by this. On the
contrary, they tended to be encouraged by the fact that they were
clearly about to join a serious, scholarly, well-tended academic forum.
From that time, our membership grew even faster, in part, I believe,
due to the high reputation of the list (which is, by the way,
H-Buddhism). We now have 1,500 subscribers around the world, all scholars.

Regards,

Chuck

--

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan