[Humanist] 27.1005 project-based courses

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Apr 29 09:23:38 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (35)
        Subject: project based course

  [2]   From:    Marijn Koolen <marijn.koolen at uva.nl>                      (44)
        Subject: Re:  27.1003 project-based courses?

  [3]   From:    matt hayler <cryurchin6 at hotmail.com>                      (42)

  [4]   From:    Tara Mc Pherson <tmcphers at usc.edu>                         (6)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 27.1003 project-based courses?

        Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 06:53:28 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Dear James,

The Centre for Computing in the Humanities at King's College London (now
Department of Digital Humanities) ran an undergraduate minor programme
for many years in which the final year was just such a course as you
have asked about. The numbers of students were usually small (not more
than a dozen ever, as I recall), but almost invariably those who
completed the course attested to its value. In fact I remember several
saying that it was one of the very best experiences of their
undergraduate years.

Information on the course, written when it was running, may be found at
http://www.cch.kcl.ac.uk/legacy/teaching/av3000/. The fact that this course
is now a thing of the past needs some explanation, however.

Our intention was to replace the minor programme with a full honours one.
Colleagues and I designed it but, alas, it never got off the ground. By the
time it was ready to go, student numbers in the minor had dropped to zero.
The department had no choice but to shut down all undergraduate activities.
Consensus was that with the uptake of IT courses in the schools students no
longer could see the need for what they *thought* we were offering, namely a
skills course (which ironically was exactly how it had been sold -- draw
your own conclusions). We made some brave attempts to communicate the truth
of the matter (e.g. by visits etc), but in an educational system in which
students are rather narrowly streamed and in which there is no reliable
mechanism for recruitment, these had no effect.

The happy ending to this story is that the Department will be running an
undergraduate BA in Digital Culture starting in 2015. See
http://tinyurl.com/DDH-DigitalCultureBA for more. Our MA programmes
are described at http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/ddh/study/pgt/index.aspx.
Other legacy material may be found at http://www.cch.kcl.ac.uk/legacy/teaching/.
Please forgive the broken links.