[Humanist] 27.1004 pubs: cfp for issue on emotion & sentiment in social media

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Apr 28 07:21:26 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:25:34 -0400
        From: Mark Finlayson <markaf at MIT.EDU>
        Subject: CFP for Special Issue on Emotion and Sentiment in Social and Expressive Media

A CFP relevant to the Humanist list:

 > INFORMATION PROCESSING & MANAGEMENT
 >
 > Special Issue on
 > Emotion and Sentiment in Social and Expressive Media
 > http://sentic.net/essem/
 >
 > ------------------------------------
 > Submission Deadline: 30th April 2014
 > (Deadline Approaching!)
 > ------------------------------------
 >
 > AIMS AND SCOPE
 >
 > Although sentiment analysis and emotion detection have been trending
topics since a while, not enough emphasis has been placed so far on
social and expressive media. The latter, in particular, play a key role
in applicative fields related to creativity, its expressions and
outcomes, such as figurative arts, music or drama. In such fields, the
advent of digital social media has brought about new paradigms of
interactions that foster first-person engagement and crowdsourcing
content creation: the subjective and expressive dimensions move to the
foreground, opening the way to the emergence of an affective component
within a dynamic corpus of contents - created or enriched by users.
 > Social and expressive media generate -in a continuous loop of
interaction between online environments and the community of users- a
corpus of digitized contents (e.g. text, images, sounds). New contents
are added to the Web by its users every day, in an orthogonal way with
respect to the new/old media distinction, with new formats relying on
traditional media like text (fan generated fictions, tweets, reviews)
and established expressive forms being delivered through new media
(amateur video clips, podcasts, pictures). This calls for delving into
the evolution of approaches, techniques and tools for automatic
processing, indexing and retrieval of the affective and subjective
information conveyed by those media.

 > In order to bring advancements in automatic processing of such
information, a key role can be played by cognitive models of emotions.
Suitable affective and emotional models, which underlie the expressive
aims of those media, need to be defined and integrated into traditional
techniques of analysis and information processing. Generation and
manipulation of produced contents (for distribution, categorization,
browsing, visualization etc.) need to encompass a model of their
affective qualities (and of their reception by the users), especially
when the practical goal of assembling and delivering to the users
contents in a personalized way is pursued. Moreover, the focus on
multimedia contents asks for the development of new techniques of
automatic extraction and classification of affective information where
both textual and extra-linguistic features can be exploited.
Affective-based visualization techniques may also support the
development of novel tools for the analysis and exp

 > loration of multimedia information.
 >
 > We invite high-quality submissions that address the topic of Emotion
and Sentiment in Social and Expressive Media under different
perspectives. We encourage the submission of papers from related areas,
such as natural language processing, information retrieval, semantic
web, affective computing, and interactive multimodal systems. The
multidisciplinary approach will extend the possibility of cross-validation.

 > We especially welcome papers facing the following challenges:
 >
 > - detecting emotion and sentiment in social media and in fields
related to creativity, its expressions and its outcomes (e.g. figurative
arts, music, drama);
 > - automatic processing, indexing and retrieval of the affective
information in social and expressive media based on structured knowledge
of affective information, e.g. affective categorization models expressed
by ontologies, better still if psychologically motivated;
 > - visualization of emotion and sentiment in social and expressive
media in order to enhance navigation and access to information and
multimedia contents;
 > - fostering the interoperability and integration of tools by
encouraging compliance with emerging standards, which enable semantic
metadata processing.

http://www.elsevier.com/journals/information-processing-and-management/0306-4573/guide-for-authors
 > For more information, please contact: Paolo Rosso (prosso at dsic.upv.es).
 >
 > SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
 >
 > Contributions should be submitted via the journal online submission
system available through the journal homepage (not earlier than 15th
March 2014),
 > selecting SI:ESSEM when at the Article Type step in the submission
process:
 > http://ees.elsevier.com/ipm/login_action.asp

Mark A. Finlayson
Research Scientist, MIT CSAIL
32 Vassar St. Room 32-258, Cambridge, MA 02139 USA
+1.617.253.0287 (office); +1.617.515.0708 (mobile); markaf at mit.edu
.