[Humanist] 27.987 events: Penn Palaeography Workshop

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Apr 21 09:55:01 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 19:09:13 +0000
        From: Alex Devine <aldevine at sas.upenn.edu>
        Subject: 49th ICMS @Kalamazoo: Penn Paleography Workshop CFPP (Call for Paleographical Problems)

49th International Congress on Medieval Studies
May 8-11, 2014

¶ CFPP: Call For Paleographical Problems!
¶ Paleography Workshop with The Penn Paleography Group <http://pennpaleography.wordpress.com/>
Sponsored by SIMS (The Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies), University of Pennsylvania
¶ Thursday 8th May, 10am (Session 22 ~ Schneider 1140)

This workshop will provide a space for discussing the methodology and practice of paleography in Manuscript Studies and the value of collaborative reading. Rather than a Paleography 101-style workshop, we are eager both to share our experience and to seize the opportunity to open up a larger conversation about paleography with a particular focus on the use of innovative new digital tools and online resources such as Penn in Hand<http://dla.library.upenn.edu/dla/medren/index.html> and T-PEN http://t-pen.org/TPEN/ . Topics to be considered may include: how using digital resources has altered our group’s methods of accessing premodern scripts (from written texts and glosses to handwritten addenda and later annotations in early printed books); the dynamics of practicing paleography as a group; and how we can create possibilities for collaborative, interactive transcription.

The workshop will consist of three sections:

I.  A series of ‘lightning presentations’ by group members on selected premodern manuscripts from Penn’s Special Collections, including manuscripts from our newly-acquired Schoenberg Collection<http://dla.library.upenn.edu/dla/medren/search.html?fq=collection_facet%3A%22Lawrence%20J.%20Schoenberg%20Collection%22&rows=100>.

II.    Discussion of the paleographical challenges presented in these and other manuscripts.

III.  A general discussion section open to all attendees in which we encourage questions about the what, why, and how of paleographical study.
We encourage attendees to bring their own paleographical problems for consideration by all workshop participants. If you have a paleographical challenge that you would like to share in the workshop (preferably accompanied by jpg files of the pertinent folios of your Ms.), it would be helpful for you to contact us in advance, although you are of course very welcome to simply bring your challenges on the day.

* All Are Welcome! - No Registration Required *

However if you would like to confirm your interest in participating in this workshop or to contact us with details of your paleographical problems, please e-mail Alexander Devine at aldevine at sas.upenn.edu<mailto:aldevine at sas.upenn.edu>.

--
Alexander Devine
The Schoenberg Institute for Manuscript Studies

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1397982123_2014-04-20_aldevine@sas.upenn.edu_9843.2.pdf