[Humanist] 27.962 humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Apr 12 09:25:32 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 07:50:08 +0000
        From: "Bod, Rens" <L.W.M.Bod at uva.nl>
        Subject: RE:  27.958 humanities

Paolo Rocchi wrote:

>> Not only humanities are essential to modern culture but are essential to science itself.
>> I'm striving to show how some linguistic concepts (that is to say, basically humanist
>> notions) can clarify the principles of computer science.

The influence of linguistic concepts on computer science has been well documented. For instance, when in the late 1950s linguists like Noam Chomsky developed a notation for defining grammars, it was taken up by computer scientists such as John Backus who applied this notation to designing programming languages. Chomsky’s syntactic definition of a language served as the pattern for the structure of the whole compiler for ALGOL — the first higher programming language.

And there is more: e.g. when the 19th-century philologist Karl Lachmann used the model of a tree of texts with a common root for his textual reconstructions, he gave biologists a powerful method for describing zoological phylogenies.

And there is even more, for an overview see https://blog.oup.com/2014/02/how-the-humanities-changed-the-world/

All best,

Rens

Prof dr Rens Bod, Chair of Computational and Digital Humanities
Institute for Logic, Language and Computation, University of Amsterdam
Visiting Address: Science Park 105, Room F.204, Amsterdam, NL
Postal Address: P.O. Box 94242, 1090 GE Amsterdam, NL
phone: +31 20 5256086 or +31 20 5256051
homepage | weblog | twitter
NEW OUP BOOK: A New History of the Humanities

I agree with the Barzun's work quoted by William.
Not only humanities are essential to modern culture but are essential to science itself.
I'm striving to show how some linguistic concepts (that is to say, basically humanist notions) can clarify the principles of computer science.
They operate like a key that opens a complicated lock.

Paolo Rocchi

Docent Emeritus
IBM
via Shangai 53, 00144 Roma