[Humanist] 27.959 solutions to the job problem

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Apr 11 09:22:10 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:34:09 +0200
        From: "Dr. Hartmut Krech" <kr538 at zfn.uni-bremen.de>
        Subject: Solutions to the job problem

While, in a quiet moment, I was contemplating the
possibility that internet-based photo and video sharing
services like Flickr, Instagram, etc. may have been created
not so much as a source of revenue in themselves, but as a
.purposeful outlet for the masses of digital photographs and
videos that would never meet a critical mind in the
conventional art shows and show rooms due to the sheer
number of their occurrences, I was reminded of my still
undocumented (Humanist 26.44) attempt at defining the
humanities first and foremost as the community or
communities of humanists, whereby, I might add, "digital"
would refer to their medium or means of expression and
communication, quite similar to "written" ethnography or
"visual" anthropology ("scriptural" ethnology is quite a
different thing).

In an effort that stands in the best tradition of activating
or consciousness-raising surveys, Eleanor Dickey, Professor
of Classics at the University of Reading, has aggregated
quite a number of personal experiences of "independent
scholars," recommendations for administrative improvements
and ideas for digital enterprises to help those 80 % of
Humanities PhDs that will never get a permanent job in their
profession despite (and sometimes because of) their
high-profile education.

The extensive results of her inquiry were posted to the
Classicists list of Liverpool University and make impressive
and sometimes depressing reading-material. Professor Dickey
has given me permission to forward her study to Humanist-L
and to ask you for your commentaries and additions. Her
original posting is archived at:
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1404&L=classicists&T=0&P=3239
As Prof. Dickey's email address is visible only for
listmembers, she asks for commentaries to be sent to her
email address e.dickey at READING.AC.UK.

Of course, I would highly welcome any ideas from members of
Humanist-L that tackle the problem of the future of the
humanities from the perspective of those who have dedicated
their lives to this subject area and its accepted methods
and shared cognizances.

Hartmut Krech
http://ww3.de/krech

Prof. Dickey begins her posting with the following words:

"Thank you very much to all the people who answered my
questions on what could be done to help the people with
doctorates but no permanent job. I received nearly a hundred
well as exciting ideas for tackling the issue. Clearly the
problem is a major one, and the people suffering from it are
deserving of help from the academic community: one
respondent said that we don't owe them jobs, and that may be
true, but having in most cases led them to believe that if
they were good enough things would work out, we owe them
something better than the circumstances to which these
excellent scholars are currently subjected. And we can do
something about this! I have compiled a list of the ideas
for action that people have submitted; it is below. What I
now need to know is how good these ideas are from a variety
of perspectives, so I would be very grateful if you (that's
you, no matter what your current job status) would rate them
for me according to the scale given below and send the
result to E.Dickey at reading.ac.uk."