[Humanist] 27.951 humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Apr 7 13:00:52 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (52)
        Subject: no humanities or the wrong questions?

  [2]   From:    Manfred Thaller <manfred.thaller at uni-koeln.de>            (84)
        Subject: Re:  27.947 humanities to what end? & Re: [Humanist] 27.948
                social dynamics of the new

        Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:51:37 -0400
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

I agree with Chris Meister's suggestion wholeheartedly, in Humanist
27.947, about turning away from the complaints voiced on behalf of the
humanities toward positives. The via negativa can be a powerful road to
travel, but in this case I wonder about travelling it as much and as
determinedly as we seem to do. Declining enrolments are a very real
problem in the U.S. at least, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise.
Imagining no humanities surely leads to a dystopic vision, and that can
be useful. But what argument comes out of it that will persuade the
watchers of CNN and its kind?

Allow me to quote from the Columbia University historian Jacques
Barzun's "The Misbehavioral Sciences: A Truce to the Nonsense on Both
Sides", published in Richard Threulsen and John Kobler, eds., Adventures
of the Mind (New York: Alfred Knopf, 1959) -- which is downloadable from
the Internet Archive. Barzun wrote to his American audience -- NB in
1959 -- that "This debate is not new, nor is it limited to the United
States. It is going strong throughout the western world and particularly
in England." Barzun notes the raging debate and the arguments heard then
(and now); "And yet", he writes,

> all those good reasons why science is not enough, why the humanities
> are indispensable, do not seem to stick. Everybody applauds the
> speeches--the liberal arts are liberally praised--but the moment a
> satellite appears in the sky or a rocket fails to go off, the fair
> words are forgotten. Nothing but science and engineering seems to
> matter. Could it be that in our so-called better moments we are only
> hypocrites? Who is supposed to be fooled by the rhetoric which the
> businessman echoes from the commencement speech—is it the speaker or
> the audience? Or are they both being fooled by a set of ideas and
> phrases that do not breed conviction because they have never been
> seriously meant?  (pp. 18-19)

Barzun observes,

> the humanities have existed in an unbroken tradition for 3000 years;
> there should be nothing left about them to define, advocate or
> challenge. But if there is nothing, why do we keep asking what the
> humanities are for and what their place is--as if it lay in our power
> to choose whether to save or kill them? (p. 19)

He concludes,

> The conflict between the "practical" sciences and the "superfluous"
> humanities is not a real conflict to those who know the realities
> they are talking about. Rather, it is a conflict with the thoughtless
> about the meaning of utility.  (p. 26)

To me the last 10 words of that quotation are what we need -- and what
the scientists doing curiosity-motivated research need as well, since
they are also afflicted. We need to be asking, what needs doing for
which the humanities -- or better, the liberal arts, properly understood
-- would be useful *in the proper sense of that word*?

Comments?