[Humanist] 27.947 humanities to what end?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 11:53:41 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2014 17:21:37 +0200
        From: Jan Christoph Meister <jan-c-meister at uni-hamburg.de>
        Subject: Re:  27.946 events:  "Imagine there were no humanities" (Warsaw)

Certainly a worthwhile thought experiment and conference!

But how about putting an end to our wailing and antagonizing about the
future by giving this a positive spin, rather than attempting to prove
our necessity ex negativo and, again, by way of comparison with and
reference to past achievements? In my practical experience (that is, as
past HoD of Humanities departments competing with other disciplines for
attention and funds within and beyond two universities) the single
biggest "PR handicap" is that most of our disciplines invest next to no
effort into defining their future purpose. How do we plan to "add value"
- intellectually, politically, aesthetically, conceptually - to society
over the next 2-3 decades? What's our medium-term mission for the next
generation of scholarship?

Unlike other disciplines that "sell future" (even where it is as
invisible as a Higgs Boson particle) we seem stuck on "selling the
past".  And that's a conceptual and philosophical problem for the
Humanities, not just a question of trivial PR strategy.

Chris