[Humanist] 27.477 the fact of online publication

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 29 07:16:47 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 20:47:32 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: just the stuff

This evening on the Channel 4 news (John Snow's programme) was a story
about the Syrian rebels' competition for attention, and so for funding,
played out in YouTube videos. These videos, the commentator pointed out,
are heavily influenced by the format and style of video games, which as
tend to approximate as closely as possible the scenery and
actions of real battles. The videos are professionally done. Very impressive,
using many of the latest techniques. In them the fighters are not
hamming it up for the camera, they are acting. Their exultant scenes
with captured objects on video are, the commentator said, more important
than the actual trophies, such as fighter jets the rebels cannot fly.
Life imitating art.

Add to this The Zuckerberg Files (see elsewhere on Humanist). And add
to that the astonishing resources for medieval manuscript research
coming on line all the time, e.g. entire manuscripts furnished as
downloadable pdfs by the Trier Staatsbibliothek free of charge --
mind-blowing to anyone who has had to trek across Europe and to Russia
to get a glimpse. And on it goes.

Before anyone tries to triangulate on my state of mind using this rather
odd mixture of examples, let me run ahead with my point: the mere fact
of online publication. Has the show been stolen by something that simple?

-- .