[Humanist] 27.471 models of computation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 26 09:22:43 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 13:57:56 +0200
        From: Øyvind_Eide <oyvind.eide at iln.uio.no>
        Subject: Re:  27.467 models of computation; system for online encyclopedia

Dear Paul, and all,

I believe the idea of producing models of various sorts is a key to this. Each particular model will hide and highlight different things, but so will each type of model at a different level.

In my own area of textual studies: Various types of text encoding give different insights, but another level of understanding can be reached by comparing text encoding to other types of modelling, such as mapping. What is hidden and what is highlighted by this specific map? How do this compare to other maps? To specific examples of TEI encoding, RDF models, or even theatre versions (to stretch the idea of a model a bit)?

I believe various exemplars of various types of models combined with what is currently called traditional methods (such as close reading) to be a useful line of work. It is indeed time consuming, but so is any detailed study of a text.

Kind regards,

Øyvind Eide