[Humanist] 27.467 models of computation; system for online encyclopedia

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 25 10:14:55 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>                       (28)
        Subject: Re:  27.463 models of computation

  [2]   From:    "Holly C. Shulman" <hcs8n at virginia.edu>                   (50)
        Subject: Re:  27.464 system for online encyclopedia?

        Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:08:21 -0500
        From: Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>

Arianna asks:

> Can we do in digital humanities what scholars do/have done with other
> techniques? Is modelling in computing going to lift our way of seeing and
> therefore thinking to another level? I think your answer implies that it
> does. But what level of analysis can we reach?

I am unsure as to what level can be reached, however, I can point you to
a small effort we have to produce models of various sorts, starting
with a sculpture (called X) by artist Liz Larner. This short news blog summarizes
the importance of the effort in terms of modelling:

http://www.utdallas.edu/atec/blog/2013/10/atec-professor-reflects-on-nasher-xchange-installation/

This process will take a few months to complete, but the idea is to expand
the nature of interpretation to result in models, a subset of which will be
expressed within the medium of typography (e.g., the more traditional text-based
interpretations of art criticism, or mathematical models using textual expressions).

-p

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Chair, ACM SIGSIM
Distinguished Chair of Arts & Technology
   and Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology