[Humanist] 27.462 book review: puppets in a wired world

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 10:03:28 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 08:51:36 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: puppets in a wired world

Many here, I expect will be interested in Sue Halpern's review in the
New York Review of Books, "Are We Puppets in a Wired World?", of the
following volumes:

The Folly of Technological Solutionism
by Evgeny Morozov

Hacking the Future: Privacy, Identity and Anonymity on the Web
by Cole Stryker

 From Gutenberg to Zuckerberg: What You Really Need to Know About the
Internet
by John Naughton

Predictive Analytics: The Power to Predict Who Will Click, Buy, Lie, or Die
by Eric Siegel

Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think
by Viktor Mayer-Schönberger and Kenneth Cukier

Status Update: Celebrity, Publicity, and Branding in the Social Media Age
by Alice E. Marwick

Privacy and Big Data: The Players, Regulators and Stakeholders
by Terence Craig and Mary E. Ludloff

See http://tinyurl.com/pdc58jz for the review.