[Humanist] 27.433 PhD positions at Texas-Austin; job at Cologne

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 16 07:32:46 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Tanya Clement <tclement at ischool.utexas.edu>               (12)
        Subject: Two fully funded PhD positions in Information Studies, UT
                Austin iSchool

  [2]   From:    Franz Fischer <franz.fischer at uni-koeln.de>                (38)
        Subject: Job in Cologne

        Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:23:30 -0500
        From: Tanya Clement <tclement at ischool.utexas.edu>
        Subject: Two fully funded PhD positions in Information Studies, UT Austin iSchool

If you are interested in completing your doctoral studies at the School of Information at UT Austin and wish to work with one or more of the faculty members of the Information Work Research Group (http://blogs.ischool.utexas.edu/iwrg/iwrg-directors/), please contact James Howison (james at howison.name) to get further information about our group, about how to apply to the school’s doctoral program, and about funding resources. We’re always keen to have talented new students join our group; we look forward to hearing from you.

Two funded positions for 2014: http://blogs.ischool.utexas.edu/iwrg/apply/

We invite applications for two fully funded PhD positions, starting in August 2014, available for incoming doctoral students to join our study of information work in the Information Work Research Group, School of Information, University of Texas at Austin.

Applications are due November 15, 2013 (see below). The faculty and students in the IWRG undertake empirical and analytical studies of information workers in their workplaces, exploring how work and occupations are changing. We draw primarily on ethnography, participant observation, interviews, historical analysis and archival analysis to explore occupations such as records managers, remote financial professions, digital humanists, data analysts, open source software developers and online community managers.

Both positions provide full tuition, a stipend of $20,000 and research travel support for two years. As Ph.D. students in the School of Information you would be eligible for continued funding through incoming grants, teaching assistantships and instructor positions; successful students should expect full-time support through the completion of their PhD. Austin is home to SXSW Interactive and a rapidly growing technology sector, and is an energetic, young city that is a great place to live and work through your Ph.D., offering excellent employment and education opportunities for spouses and families.

We welcome inquiries from students interested in pursuing academic careers, coming from diverse academic and social backgrounds. Applicants with professional work experience are particularly encouraged to apply, as are students currently completing their masters or undergraduate degrees.

Interested applicants should contact James Howison ASAP and provide an up-to-date resume and letter of interest no longer than 1 page. Applicants would then apply for the Information School Ph.D. through the regular admission process; full applications are due 15 November 2013, seeiSchool PhD application page.

___

Tanya Clement
Assistant Professor, School of Information
University of Texas, Austin
tclement at ischool.utexas.edu