[Humanist] 27.421 call for nominations: ACH Exec, President, VP

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 10 08:44:04 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 15:06:53 +0100
        From: Mia.Ridge <Mia.Ridge at open.ac.uk>
        Subject: ACH seeks nominations for Executive Council, President and Vice-President

The Association for Computers and the Humanities (ACH) invites nominations for the 2013/2014 elections, in which our members will elect a President and Vice President for two-year terms, as well as three Executive Council members for four-year terms. We seek candidates who want to advance the field of digital humanities (DH) by helping to run the ACH.

ACH officers and Executive Council members develop and uphold ACH policies, determine and distribute funding, and oversee all organizational activities. Activities for 2013/2014 include our mentorship program and jobs slams, advocacy work, publications including Digital Humanities Quarterly and DH Answers, collaborations with ADHO partners in the annual DH conference and other initiatives, co-administration of a number of prestigious DH awards, distribution of student bursaries for DH training and education, as well as other priorities as set by ACH. You could be involved in helping ACH programs succeed by nominating yourself, or someone else, to be an active participant in the leadership of the Association.

To be confirmed as an ACH officer  or Executive Council member, candidates must be members in good standing of the ACH. They commit to attending annual council meetings at the Digital Humanities conference and participate in discussions during the rest of the year by email and audio/video conference. Council members are expected to be active in the digital humanities community. We welcome participants not just from universities and colleges but also galleries, libraries, museums, community organizations, and other organizations engaged with digital humanities. Independent scholars, graduate students, alternative academics, women, those of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds, and other under-represented communities are especially encouraged to self-nominate, or to be nominated by the membership. Demonstrated commitment to the organization and to the field counts for more with our membership than professional affiliations or academic status/titles.

Send nominations to nominations at ach.org by October 31st, 2013. Please confirm with your nominee that he or she is willing to serve, and:
* Put one of the following in the subject line, as appropriate:
    * Executive Council nomination
    * ACH President nomination
    * ACH Vice President nomination
* Provide a brief candidate statement and biography.  Sample candidate statements from past elections are available at: http://ach.org/elections-candidates/.
* All nominations require two nominations (including self-nominations) to be considered for the ballot (per ACH bylaws), so please allow time for a second nominee to email in support of your nomination.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at nominations at ach.org.

The three top vote-getters in the Executive Council race will be elected to four-year terms.  For more information on the responsibilities and obligations of ACH council members, see http://www.ach.org/constitution#Bylaws

Current officers of the ACH are listed at http://www.ach.org/officers

Many thanks,

ACH Nominations Committee

Mia Ridge, Open University (Chair)
Ernesto Priego, City University London
Jennifer Guiliano, MITH
Johanna Drucker, UCLA

Ex officio member
Stefan Sinclair, ACH Vice President

---
Mia Ridge
Doctoral candidate in digital humanities, Open University
http://openobjects.org.uk/ || http://twitter.com/mia_out

-- The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).