[Humanist] 27.410 corporate open source

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 5 08:38:20 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 07:25:09 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: corporate open source

Those for whom open source is a topic of interest may wish to read the
following:

Christopher Newfield, "Corporate open source: Intellectual property and
the struggle over value", in Radical Philosophy 181 (Sept/Oct 2013),
which begins thus:

> I began to worry about open source when the corporate world stopped
 > worrying and learned to love open source. For me the turning point was a
 > drinks party in Paris in 2003, thrown by the wife of an American
 > advertising executive temporarily based in the city. First, a bit of
 > context for the party and its place in the brief story IÂ’m telling here,
 > which is about the capture of open source by the current corporate
 > innovation system, and the battle for the alternatives that endure.

For the rest see www.radicalphilosophy.com/commentary/corporate-open-source.

Comments?