[Humanist] 27.407 self-configuring robots

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 5 08:35:15 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 16:07:38 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: self-configuring robots

I would like to think that the project at MIT, described at
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2013/simple-scheme-for-self-assembling-robots-1004.html,
would provoke both worry and delight. The delight seems obvious -- it is the
spirit of making new things, serious toys, if you will. What's the worry? I wonder:
what happens when we begin thinking of creatures (things that have been created)
as assemblages that can reassemble themselves autonomously into other
creatures?

Comments?