[Humanist] 27.573 events: PhD workshop on the medieval North

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 29 07:47:17 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:29:46 +0000
        From: "Watson, Matilda" <matilda.watson at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: PhD Workshop: Comparing the Medieval North

Call For Papers

PhD Workshop: Comparing the Medieval North
Coordinating methodologies in the study of Medieval Scandinavia

We are pleased to announce a call for papers for an interdisciplinary PhD
workshop taking place at Aarhus University on 3rd April 2014. This workshop
will provide a forum for discussion of how medievalists use different and
potentially conflicting concepts and methodologies in their work, and
hopefully lead to new ideas about how to tackle some of the challenges of
interdisciplinary and comparative work. At the workshop, a panel of three
experts in the medieval period from different disciplines will provide
feedback on participants’ papers. We are pleased that the following
experts have kindly agreed to join our panel:

Michael Gelting
Sæbjørg Walaker
Nordeide Agnes Arnórsdóttir
Alison Finlay

Prior to the workshop each participant will circulate a paper (max. 2500
words) outlining their main ideas and or problems. Each paper will be read
by one formal ‘responder,’ who will be another postgraduate, as well as
at least one expert from our panel. On the day of the workshop, each
participant will give a 10 minute presentation summarising their ideas to
kick-off a round table discussion. We hope this format will facilitate some
helpful and stimulating feedback for everyone involved. Papers can be work
in progress and do not need to be specifically ‘new work’. This is an
opportunity to receive feedback on issues you may have been struggling with
or would like to discuss with others working in a similar field.

The idea for the workshop originated from discussions about the best way to
approach comparative study and we would like to particularly encourage
papers in this area. Papers can be from any period from the early to the
late Middle Ages and from any discipline. You may wish to consider topics
such as:

• Combining archaeological and textual evidence• Comparing and using evidence from different genres
• Comparing evidence and developments across borders and periods
• Negotiating terms and concepts across time and space
• Comparing vernacular and Latin texts
• Combining the sacred and the secular
 • Cultural exchange, transfer and transformation

We are pleased to announce that we have five bursaries of £100 each to help
with travel and accommodation expenses for PhD students who have to travel a
significant distance to participate in the workshop.

Please send a 200 word abstract and a short biography to:
comparingmedievalnorth at gmail.com by Monday the 9th of December 2013

Organising committee:
Louisa Taylor (UCL), Matilda Watson (KCL), Marie Bønløkke Spejlborg (AU)

*** Attachments:
http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1385640421_2013-11-28_matilda.watson@kcl.ac.uk_8604.2.pdf