[Humanist] 27.544 events: the Early Modern social network

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 07:28:05 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 10:51:08 +0000
        From: Tessa Whitehouse <m.t.whitehouse at qmul.ac.uk>
        Subject: QMUL CEMMN.net seminar

Dear all,
The following talk may be of interest to people on this mailing list - it is hosted by Ruth Ahnert, our speaker at Tuesday's seminar 'Social Networking - Tudor Style', at Senate House, 5pm: http://blogs.history.qmul.ac.uk/digitalhumanities/
best wishes
Tessa

We would like to invite you to the Centre for Early Modern Mapping, News and Networks' first evening seminar. Please join us.

Christopher Warren (Carnegie Mellon University), Bacon and Edges: Reassembling the Early Modern Social Network – 6 December, 5.15pm, Lock-Keeper’s Cottage, QMUL

Scholars in the humanities have long been engaged with reconstructing and representing social networks of various kinds. Coteries, conventicles, “tribes,” and trade associations – each has been the subject of intense research and publication. As historian Anthony Grafton notes, “the interpretation of texts now goes hand in hand with the reconstruction of intellectual and publishing communities.” Yet this talk will argue that the traditional medium of scholarly exchange, prose, is a limited tool for the purpose of representing complex networks of association.  Although we already have vast knowledge of networks, that knowledge is not encoded, visible, or available in the most useful way.  The presentation will introduce a collaborative project called Six Degrees of Francis Bacon that learns from centuries of “inky” data and meta-data, remediating text to make the early modern social network more accessible, extensible, collaborative, and interoperable.

http://www.cemmn.net/events/