[Humanist] 27.523 being romantic

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 9 10:34:45 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 21:01:43 +0000 (GMT)
        From: joeraben1 at cox.net
        Subject: RE:  27.515 being romantic

Willard,

Your allusion to the Manhattan Project stirred memories of my own
involvement in that operation from July to December 1944. With my newly
minted BA in English, I was told that my chief qualification was a
presumably legible handwriting and I was assigned as a materials
checker in the unairconditioned warehouse that controled the flow of
carbon blocks to the (airconditioned) processing shop, where they were
machined to consitute the atomic piles that refined plutonium. The work
would not have challenged a high school graduate, but my compensation
was substantially lower than that of the unionized laborers who actually
moved the blocks around. When the operation drew near its close I was
transferred to the civil engineering group, where again I was assigned
the lowest rank, while the instrument man (a former meat cutter)
performed with a knowledge of geometry that included a distinction
between "right angles" and "left angles."

If a collaborative project in digital humanities were ever constructed
along the lines of the Manhattan Project (despite its success in
producing what it was designed to produce), I would certainly opt for
the loneliness of individual effort that I followed in my career.

Best,

Joe Raben