[Humanist] 27.500 PhD studentship at Calgary; postdoc at the RIA (Dublin)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 2 07:22:14 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Michael Ullyot <ullyot at ucalgary.ca>                       (50)
        Subject: PhD opportunity: Research Associate, University of Calgary

  [2]   From:    Susan Schreibman <susan.schreibman at gmail.com>             (50)
        Subject: Postdoc: Linked Data in Media and Cultural Applications,
                Ireland. Deadline Nov 8

        Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 10:57:22 -0600
        From: Michael Ullyot <ullyot at ucalgary.ca>

The Zeugmatic Project <http://zeugmatic.org/>
is recruiting a student to undertake a PhD in English at the University
of Calgary, beginning in Fall 2014, with up to three years of financial
support from the Project as a Research Associate. The ideal candidate will
have an MA or MPhil in Early Modern/Renaissance English language and
literature with a demonstrated interest in the digital humanities, but
those with other kinds of formation will be also be considered, including
very promising students with BA only.

The Project will offer up to three years of support in the form of
research assistantships, which may replace some of the teaching that would
otherwise be expected of a doctoral candidate at the University of
Calgary, and will provide some travel funds to assist with training
(normally at the Digital Humanities Summer Institute) and conference
presentations. The work assigned under the research assistantship will
give advanced training in text encoding, computational linguistics / text
analysis, and project management, and will be configured to result in a
substantial scholarly publication for the Research Associate.

Students interested in this opportunity will need to apply to the doctoral
program in English (or MA program if without a master's degree) at the
University of Calgary, following the standard procedures and deadlines.
The deadline for applications is 15 December 2013, with supporting
documents due by 10 January 2014.

The student who takes this position will join the network of graduate
students and faculty in the digital arts and humanities, a thriving
research and teaching network at the University of Calgary (UofC) and in
the province of Alberta. The Department of English is now hiring a digital
humanist with the expertise to complement our research areas from medieval
to modern texts and digital poetics. The UofC’s new digital library
makes a strong commitment to digital services and research incubation. The
UofC’s Eyes High strategy is committed to research-informed
undergraduate and graduate teaching methods, in which the digital
humanities are very strong. And the Alberta Digital Arts and Humanities
(ABDAH) network is building province-wide links between researchers and
graduate students.

For more information:
1 / < http://english.ucalgary.ca/graduate > describes the University of Calgary PhD program and application procedures;
2 / < http://mems.ucalgaryblogs.ca/ > concerns medieval and early modern studies at the University of Calgary, including graduate courses;
3 / < http://zeugmatic.org/about/ > describes the project; and
4 / Michael Ullyot < http://ullyot.ucalgaryblogs.ca/about/ > can address any other questions; email < ullyot at ucalgary.ca >.

Michael Ullyot
Associate Dean (Teaching + Learning), Faculty of Arts [from December 2013]; and
Assistant Professor, Department of English
University of Calgary

* ullyot.ucalgaryblogs.ca/
* twitter.com/ullyot
* google.com/+MichaelUllyot