[Humanist] 27.6 jobs at Leipzig

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 9 18:12:10 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 12:32:00 +0200
        From: Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>
        Subject: Jobs at Leipzig

http://sites.tufts.edu/perseusupdates/2013/05/08/jobs-at-the-humboldt-chair-in-digital-humanities/

Jobs at the Humboldt Chair in Digital Humanities

University of Leipzig

[Please re-post]

In February 2013, the Humboldt Chair of Digital Humanities announced
possible jobs. Funding from the European Social Fund has now been
finalized
(http://sites.tufts.edu/perseusupdates/2013/05/02/reinventing-humanities-publication-project-receives-e1-1-million-grant-from-the-saxon-ministry-of-science-and-european-social-fund/)
and we are pleased to announce two positions: one for someone to
supervise systems and text processing workflow; the other for someone
with expertise in interactive design.

Applicants should have completed their most recent degree after January
4, 2011. Positions will begin June 1, 2013 or as soon as a suitable
candidate is found, and will run through December 2014. Pay will be
commensurate to experience under Saxon and ESF regulations.

*System and workflow manager*

We are looking for an addition to our team who will develop and
administrate scalable systems and workflows for processing and
visualizing billions of words. Our text analysis includes the latest
technologies in OCR, linguistic annotation, named entity identification,
text reuse and topic modeling. You will be working in an international
and interdisciplinary group of young scientists, aiming to create a new
generation of tools and methods for learning, analyzing and interacting
with languages. The job will range from general systems administration
to the planning, implementing, managing and monitoring of completely
novel software systems.

Skills

Required skills and experience:

# Linux/Unix System Administration
# Build management system (at least one of Maven, Gradle or Ant)
# Scripting language (at least one of Perl, Python, Ruby or Clojure)
# Version control (at least one of Git, Mercurial or Subversion)
# Unit test development

Desired skills and experience:

# Experience with workflow tools such as Taverna
# Object oriented programming language (e.g. Java, Python, C++)
# Multi-threaded / distributed programming
# RDF, XML and Linked Data concepts
# Continuous Integration environments and test-driven development

Personality

# Ability to prioritise
# Attention to detail
# Ability to take initiative (self-driven), to work independently and as
part of a team
# Forward planner
# Clear focus on high quality

*Interactive designer*

We are looking for an addition to our team who will join us in
developing new methods by which users can interact with historical
sources in general and with the collections in the Perseus Digital
Library in particular. In this position, you will build ‘gamified’ user
interfaces for eLearning applications which enable students to
contribute to current research, to receive and give feedback, and to
track and analyze their learning progress. You will be working in an
international and interdisciplinary group of young scientists, aiming to
create a new generation of tools and methods for learning, analyzing and
interacting with languages.

Skills

Required skills and experience:

# Graphic design
# Javascript, CSS and HTML
# RDF, TEI XML and Linked Data concepts

Desired skills and experience:

# HTML5 and/or mobile application development skills
# Knowledge of Ancient Greek or Latin
# Experience with linguistic annotation

Personality

# Strong attention to detail
# Ability to take initiative (self-driven), to work independently and as
part of a team
# Empathic communicator
# Creative and forward planner
# Clear focus on high quality

Please send a CV and a (short) cover letter to
dig-hum-jobs at e-humanities.net.