[Humanist] 26.927 events: smart cities; TEI

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 30 09:44:27 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    close and remote <info at closeandremote.net>                (35)
        Subject: Smart City Talks - the politics of smart technology in the
                city

  [2]   From:    Arianna Ciula <ariannaciula at gmail.com>                     (9)
        Subject: 2013 TEI Conference and Members Meeting: deadline extension

        Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 21:45:20 +0000
        From: close and remote <info at closeandremote.net>
        Subject: Smart City Talks - the politics of smart technology in the city

We would like to invite you to a series of free public talks looking at the creative uses, and politics of, smart technology to be held at Deptford Lounge, Deptford and Goldsmiths College, New Cross, London.

A summary of each talk is below and more information can be found at www.closeandremote.net/smart-city-talks<http://www.closeandremote.net/smart-city-talks>

The talks are free, but tickets are limited so booking is required - details at above link

SMART CITY TALK

18 April 2013, 18.30-20.00

Deptford Lounge, 9 Giffen Street, London, SE8 4RJ

Dr Matthew Fuller (academic)

Emilie Giles (artist and technologist)

Ajit Joakar (futuretext)

Christian Nold (artist)

Smart Cities use new technologies and networked infrastructures to theoretically improve economic, political, social and cultural development. The talk will look at the ‘internet of things’ and the politics of data sensing.

SOUND CITY TALK

25 April 2013, 16.00-18.00

Goldsmiths College, Lewisham Way, New Cross, London, SE14 6NW

Dr John Levack Drever (sound artist and academic)
Peter Cusack (sound artist)
Francesca Panetta (audio producer and sound artist)

This talk looks at the locative and cognitive potential of sound and how sound shapes our experience of the environment. Will smart technologies silence the city as they take over from ‘analogue’ machinery? Are we silencing our environment by plugging into our ipods or are we creating our own soundscape to navigate by? What are the politics of noise?

SECURE CITY TALK

9 May 2013, 18.30-20.00

Deptford Lounge, 9 Giffen Street, London, SE8 4RJ

David Matthews (author)
Kasper de Graaf (CEO of Images)
Claire Fox (Institute of Ideas)
Dr David Barnard-Wills (academic and writer)

This talk will look at the use of surveillance and data gathering both in the city and the datasphere; how the monitored and ‘listened in’ space is growing daily; predictive policing; CCTV and crime prevention/detection; the use of data profiling by the state and business; and how the city space is designed to influence behaviour.

SOCIAL CITY TALK

16 May 2013, 18.30-20.00

Deptford Lounge, 9 Giffen Street, London, SE8 4RJ

Graham Harwood (artist)
Nigel Tyrell (Love Clean Streets and Lewisham Borough Council)
Dr Jennifer Gabrys (academic and researcher)
Olivia Solon (Associate Editor of Wired.co.uk http://wired.co.uk/ )

This talk will look at the use of social media in the city space – how social media both mobilises and monitors an individuals actions. It will investigate data as capital (social, economic and cultural); the notion of the internet as a ‘walled garden’; and the use of data profiling by social media companies such as Facebook to predict and influence users behaviour outside of its construct.