[Humanist] 26.907 open access

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 24 10:32:10 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 09:18:44 -0400
        From: Jean-Claude Guédon <jean.claude.guedon at umontreal.ca>
        Subject: Re:  26.903 open access

I would like to respond to point 2 below.

1. It is difficult to assert that academic culture is not conducive to
open access. The examples of universities such as Harvard where faculty
vote in favour of a self-imposed mandate to deposit their publications
points in a different direction.

2. Most journals, indeed, are not in open access, but many toll-gated
journals accept authors depositing their articles in suitable
repositories. The Sherpa/Romeo list (http://www.sherpa.ac.uk/romeo/) is
useful to see what your targeted journal permits if your article is
accepted in it.

3. For the more difficult cases where the journal is toll-gated and
refuses any public deposit either forever, or for a long period of time,
it is still possible to deposit the article in a suitable black archive.
In such a case, only the metadata is exposed publicly, and a clickable
button allows sending a quick request to the author for the equivalent
of an offprint.

So, there is no need to turn down the opportunity of publishing in a
prestigious, but stingy, journal as there are ways around such
obstacles.

Jean-Claude Guédon

Jean-Claude Guédon
Professeur titulaire