[Humanist] 26.903 open access

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 23 08:39:10 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:50:45 +0000
        From: "James O'Sullivan" <josullivan.c at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  26.899 open access?

I fully support initiatives that promote open access, and have myself
released a number of open source projects (OpenDAHT.org, JDCES.org,
DigitalPoe.org etc etc etc). And of course I have signed this petition.

The problem to my mind, however, is that open access and open source are
fine in theory, but the fact is that many people only throw the terms
around without actually following up with appropriate actions. People like
to put themselves forward as being disciples of an open access philosophy,
but they tend not follow this up. This stems, I think, from a number of
things:

1. Many people who champion open access have not actually had something to
release as open access. It's all well and good to state that you would make
your intellectual property open access, but when a scholarly pursuit /
project / development does come to fruition, many people, unfortunately,
change their mind on open access when faced with the actual products of
their labours. Excuse the poor analogy, but it reminds me of Lord of the
Rings. After the arduous journey, lots of people do eventually conclude:
"It's mine, why shouldn't I hold onto it?"

2. Academic culture is not conducive to open access. I've had papers
accepted to peer-reviewed journals that are not open access. What do I do?
I'm a PhD candidate, and if I am to have any sort of a career as a scholar
going forward, I need to build up some publications in the well-respected
journals in my field - such publications are the currency of our
profession. So when I get offered publication, how can I turn it down? A
few years from now I doubt that any interview panel would look favourably
upon my lack of representation in these journals. They may well be
impressed by the fact that I took a stand in the name of open access, but
they are unlikely to hire me.

3. Wider cultural forces also play their part -- commerce particularly.
Whatever about knowledge creation, development can be an expensive
business. My research is generously supported by the HEA, and I have a lot
of institutional support, and therefore, yes, any knowledge that I create,
indeed my thesis, by right should belong to the public. However, I have a
number of ongoing scholarly projects that fall outside my core PhD
research, and thus do not enjoy institutional support of a financial
nature. I am funding these myself (not ideal when your income is a PhD
stipend), and while I have managed to keep them all open access thus far,
it is expensive to do so, almost prohibitively so. Hybrid models have their
limitations, and for many people, open access simply isn't feasible from an
economic sense. I may want to give something away for free, but the tools
and resources required for production need to be free as well, and they
aren't, not by any means.

Saying this, if we are to change things then we need to start somewhere, so
it's great to see new initiatives of this nature. You have my support!

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
*James O'Sullivan *
@jamescosullivan  http://twitter.com/jamescosullivan **

Twitter: http://twitter.com/jamescosullivan<http://twitter.com/#%21/jamescosullivan>