[Humanist] 26.879 pubs: Scholarly Editing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 14 08:44:42 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 14:46:16 -0500
        From: Amanda Gailey <amanda.gailey at gmail.com>
        Subject: New Issue of Scholarly Editing; Call for Articles and Proposals for Editions

We are pleased to announce the publication of *Scholarly Editing: The Annual
of the Association for Documentary Editing* (vol. 34, 2013), now in its
second issue as an online publication at www.scholarlyediting.org.

*Scholarly Editing* publishes peer-reviewed editions of primary source
materials of cultural significance while continuing the decades-long
tradition of publishing articles and reviews about editing that defined its
print predecessor, *Documentary Editing*. This year's issue includes
editions and essays by contributors from several countries, tackling
materials that span centuries. We are pleased not only to present editors
with a rigorously peer-reviewed publication platform, but also to share
fascinating documents from cultural history with the reading public. All of
this material is available freely online and is completely open-access.
Please see below for our call for editions and articles for next year's
issue, as well as the full table of contents for the 2013 issue.

Amanda Gailey and Andrew Jewell

Editors, *Scholarly Editing: The Annual of the Association for DocumentaryEditing*

INVITING EDITION PROPOSALS AND ARTICLES FOR THE 2014 ISSUE OF SCHOLARLY
EDITING

*Scholarly Editing* invites proposals for the 2014 issue. Many scholars
have discovered fascinating texts that deserve to be edited thoughtfully
and imaginatively, and we offer a venue to turn these discoveries into
sustainable, peer-reviewed publications that will enrich the digital record
of our cultural heritage. If you are interested in editing a small-scale
digital edition, we want to hear from you. Proposals for the 2014 issue are
due by April 22, 2013. Please see details for submitting a proposal at
www.scholarlyediting.org/se.about.html.

We also welcome submissions of articles discussing any aspect of the theory
or practice of editing, print or digital. Articles must be submitted by
August 5, 2013, to be considered for the 2014 issue. Please see details at
www.scholarlyediting.org/se.about.html.

*
*

CONTENTS FOR VOLUME 34, 2013

"Introduction to Volume 34 of *Scholarly Editing: The Annual of the
Association for Documentary Editing"* by Amanda Gailey (University of
Nebraska–Lincoln) and Andrew Jewell (University of Nebraska–Lincoln)

Editions

A Poem's Flight: Reprints of Dante Gabriel Rossetti's "Sunset Wings" in the
American Newspaper Press, edited by Marianne Van Remoortel (University of
Ghent)

The Trinity Seven Planets, edited by Alpo Honkapohja (University of Zurich)

"Will not these days be by thy poets sung": Poems of the *Anglo-African*
and *National Anti-Slavery Standard*, 1863–1864, edited by Elizabeth
Lorang (University of Nebraska–Lincoln) and R. J. Weir (University of
Cambridge)

Essays

"The 'Documentary Democracy' of the Writings of John Dickinson, Then and
Now"  by Jane E. Calvert (University of Kentucky)

"Medievalists and the Scholarly Digital Edition"  by Dot Porter (University
of Pennsylvania)

"The Iceman Cometh?: On Intellectual Access to Documents" (Presidential
Address, Association for Documentary Editing Annual Meeting,
Charlottesville, Virginia, 2012)  by Carol DeBoer-Langworthy (Brown
University)

Reviews

*The Collected Works of Ralph Waldo Emerson, Volume 9: Poems. A Variorum
Edition*. Historical introduction, textual introduction, and headnotes by
Albert J. Von Frank. Text established by Albert J. Von Frank and Thomas
Wortham. Cambridge: Belknap Press of Harvard University Press,
2011. Reviewed by Helen R. Deese

*The Papers of Howard Washington Thurman, Volume 1: My People Need Me*,
June 1918–March 1936. Edited by Walter Earl Fluker, Kai Jackson Issa,
Quinton H. Dixie, Peter Eisenstadt, and Catherine Tumber. Columbia:
University of South Carolina Press, 2009 and *The Papers of Howard
Washington Thurman, Volume 2: Christian, Who Calls Me a Christian?* April
1936–August 1943. Edited by Walter Earl Fluker, Kai Jackson Issa, Quinton
H. Dixie, Peter Eisenstadt, and Catherine Tumber. Columbia: University of
South Carolina Press, 2011.  Reviewed by Sarah Azaransky (University of San
Diego)

Recent Editions

by W. Bland Whitley (Princeton University)

--
Amanda Gailey
Assistant Professor