[Humanist] 26.876 medicine, graphic-novel style; clay storage

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 14 08:40:38 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Dr. Robert Delius Royar PhD" <r.royar at moreheadstate.edu>  (5)
        Subject: Re:  26.874 clay storage and human memory

  [2]   From:    John Simpson <jes6 at ualberta.ca>                            (5)
        Subject: Re:  26.854 pubs: medicine, graphic-novel style; open access
                for historians

        Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 08:12:20 -0400
        From: "Dr. Robert Delius Royar PhD" <r.royar at moreheadstate.edu>

An encoding system will be most useful and decodable if it is designed for the medium on which it is encoded  and when that medium is designed to work efficiently with a specific decoding device. A medium has longevity if the conditions under which it is stored are unlikely to degrade the medium. How long would clay survive exposed to the humidity of a temperate climate?

Using binary encoding facilitates reading the information if the decoder can only process single bits at a time in a serial fashion. If the decoder is a more sophisticated pattern-recognition device, then converting the letter 'A' to 0000000001000001 is inefficient.

--
 Robert Delius Royar               Department of English
 Morehead State University     r.royar at moreheadstate.edu