[Humanist] 26.874 clay storage and human memory

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 13 07:30:42 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:33:45 +0100
        From: maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.873 clay storage and human memory

Il 12/03/2013 08:02, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
> Neven Jovanovic asks a good question. The answer of course is many, many
> tablets (and I've not tried to do the sums) for anything nontextual. But
> in principle sound/visual material could be reproduced via strings of
> 0,1 codes...
i think that the very matter is not how many tablets we need to encode
the bible, but the concept itself of archiving on clay tablet which
immediately starts -as a powerful catalyzer- a series of thoughts about
archiving, about the media for archiving, about their virtues and
defects, about the time variable, about the resilience, about what will
remain of our digital culture after 2000 years, if after 100 years, or
1000, for the humanity will be more interesting and important the iliad
or all the zettabytes we produced in the sole year 2013, about ...
maurizio

--
Un nuovo contratto sociale:
abbondanza frugale in una società solidale.