[Humanist] 26.873 clay storage and human memory

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 12 08:02:04 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    David Zeitlyn <david.zeitlyn at anthro.ox.ac.uk>             (26)
        Subject: Re:  26.868 clay storage

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (33)
        Subject: storage, clay storage and memory

        Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:35:31 +0000
        From: David Zeitlyn <david.zeitlyn at anthro.ox.ac.uk>

Dear all,

Neven Jovanovic asks a good question. The answer of course is many, many
tablets (and I've not tried to do the sums) for anything nontextual. But
in principle sound/visual material could be reproduced via strings of
0,1 codes...

and nb in a related post Dan Rutter
http://www.dansdata.com/gz094.htm

extols the virtue of a way of printing QRcodes which include encode
relatively large amounts of data on paper,
supported by an open source software project
PaperBack http://ollydbg.de/Paperbak/

david

--
David Zeitlyn,

Professor of Social Anthropology (research)

Institute of Social and Cultural Anthropology,
School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography,
51 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6PF, UK
http://www.isca.ox.ac.uk/about-us/staff/academic/prof-david-zeitlyn/
http://www.mambila.info/ The Virtual Institute of Mambila Studies
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wolf2728/
http://about.me/david.zeitlyn
Google Scholar profile including h-index:
http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=lYK4auAAAAAJÊ

Oxford's open online anthropology journal: JASO online.
http://www.isca.ox.ac.uk/publications/JASO/