[Humanist] 26.854 pubs: medicine, graphic-novel style; open access for historians

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 6 09:57:40 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (16)
        Subject: Open Access for Historians

  [2]   From:    John Simpson <jes6 at ualberta.ca>                            (7)
        Subject: Medical Journal Publishes Article in Graphic Novel Style

        Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 11:28:26 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>

The following summarises the recent debate on Open Access among the historical community in Britain and summarises the debate at the meeting organised at the Institute of Historical Research and Royal Historical Society on 1 March (and is also of interest as an exemplary use of Storify):

http://storify.com/ihr_history/open-access-for-historians-1

There is also a very thoughtful blog post on the day by Adam Crymble:

http://adamcrymble.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/open-access-and-uks-scholarly-society.html

Adam's criticisms of learned societies for their dependence on journal income to support their wider range of activities presumably apply beyond History. Our own Association for Literary and Linguistic Computing is of course also beholden to journal subscription income from Literary and Linguistic Computing, but I haven't so far seen any discussion of how a move towards open access publishing will affect ALLC.

Andrew

Professor Andrew Prescott FRHistS
Head of Department
Department of Digital Humanities