[Humanist] 26.849 the turn turnings

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 5 07:27:04 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 13:28:03 +0100
        From: "Anna-K. Mayer" <annak.mayer at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  26.843 the turn turn?

Hello Willard

You might want to consider counting in the visual turn. I'm not sure about
the date range: mid 90s perhaps?, although there obviously are clear
antecedents in anthropology, history of art, educationism (amongst other
things). Otto Neurath reportedly called the 20th century the century of the
eye. If so we'd probably agree that the century did not come into its own
until its last decade! I wonder where one would situate Raphael Samuel's
Theatres of Memory in the history of the visual turn.

These are mere jottings, apologies - I am (alas) preoccupied with other,
more boring issues.

Best wishes as always,
Anna

On 3 March 2013 12:26, Humanist Discussion Group <