[Humanist] 26.841 events: Cities and Film

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 2 10:16:09 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 10:00:41 +0000
        From: "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Digital Humanities Seminar: Professor Richard Koeck 5	March 6.15pm

*Event reminder*

6.15pm Tuesday 5 March 2013
Anatomy Museum, Strand Campus

Cities and Film: A Shared Space
Professor Richard Koeck
University of Liverpool

Biography

Richard Koeck is a Professor and Chair in Architecture and the Visual Arts and Director of the Centre for Architecture and the Visual Arts (CAVA), University of Liverpool/UK. His professional experience lies in architecture and filmmaking; both fields in which he worked internationally for many years. His inter and cross-disciplinary work frequently blurs the boundaries between practice and research and considers architectural/urban space in relation to time-based media, such as moving images and film. Richard won numerous national research grants that were dedicated to the study of cities, film and digital media. He is co-editor of several books, including 'Cities in Film: Architecture, Urban Space and the Moving Image' (2008) and 'The City and the Moving Image' (2010), and author of numerous articles and book chapters. He is author of the monograph 'Cine|Scapes: Cinematic Spaces in Architecture and Cities' (Routlege, 2012).

Abstract

Richard Koeck will be taking about his recent research brought together in his book Cine-Scapes (2012), where he explores the relationship between urban space, architecture and the moving image. While an impressive amount of research has been done with regards to the way in which architecture is portrayed in film, this talk aims to offers a somewhat usual perspective. There is little doubt that film can'reflect' a postmodern condition, however, what this book demonstrates is that the postmodern, architectural condition in which we live is in fundamental terms filmic.

What happens if we begin to see the city as a place for an embodied visual consumption; a visual apparatus or, perhaps, a system that is based on movement, light and the body, and which we can explore in kinematic, kinetic, and kinaesthetic ways? How can we define a filmic significance and properties of architecture and urban environments?

The seminar will be followed by wine and nibbles

Project Officer
Department of Digital Humanities
King’s College London
2nd Floor | 26-29 Drury Lane | London | WC2B 5RL

Tel: +44 (0)20 7848 2931
Fax: +44 (0)20 7848 2980
Email: digitalhumanities at kcl.ac.uk<mailto:digitalhumanities at kcl.ac.uk>
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/ddh/index.aspx