[Humanist] 26.836 events: computational linguistics for literature; sound

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 1 07:43:10 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    whitney trettien <wtrettien at gmail.com>                   (111)
        Subject: CFP: Pro-vocare, a new digital collection of sonically-
                inspiring projects

  [2]   From:    Anna Kazantseva <ankazant at site.uottawa.ca>                (28)
        Subject: deadline extension: Second Workshop on Computational
                Linguistics for Literature

        Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 16:09:55 -0500
        From: whitney trettien <wtrettien at gmail.com>
        Subject: CFP: Pro-vocare, a new digital collection of sonically-inspiring projects

Call for Provocations

Pro-vocare: Sound Ideas
a new digital collection of sonically-inspiring projects
http://sites.fhi.duke.edu/soundbox/2013/02/28/call-for-provocations-pro-vocare-a-new-collection-sonically-inspiring-projects/

Deadline for Proposals: April 1, 2013

Over the next year, Soundbox  http://sites.fhi.duke.edu/soundbox  will
stage a series of provocations – from the Latin pro-vocare, "to call
forth" -- that confront the current sound of knowledge. Collectively, these
provocations will showcase some of the most innovative uses of sound in
scholarly settings, both creative and critical. Documentation of these
collected works will be published on the web as a multimodal open-access
book. This resource aims to provoke more noisy t(h)inkering within the
fields of sound studies, digital humanities, and the audio arts and
sciences writ large.

Toward that end, the Soundbox project solicits proposals for
"provocations." These can take a variety of forms, including but not
limited to:

-- events or experiments, staged at any location, both online and off
-- ongoing installations produced collaboratively with institutions such as
museums or libraries
-- a tool or plug-in, either real or speculative
-- experimental new ways of using existing tools
-- a digital essay, produced by an individual or collaboratively
-- a creation produced over virtual networks
-- soundscapes and other sonic productions

Provocations will be related through their commitment to engaging with
sonic materials in a way that offers new insight into the intersection of
sound and knowledge-making. Selections will not be based around a
particular historical period, culture, methodology, or set of aesthetic
objects, but rather will be connected through an ethos of play,
experimentation, and social interaction. In other words, their aggregated
value lies less in what they say together, and more in how they say it.

For instance, though they operate on different timescales, and within
different spaces, an exhibit and a digital essay are both suitable mediums
for investigating sound in public spaces, whether a small institutional
hallway or the crowded space of one’s screen. Likewise, an annotated
diagram for an imaginary machine can map out new relationships to sound as
productively as an actual digital tool. In all cases, this collection
gathers these disparate forms and formats together as witness to and
inspiration for other scholars who wish to amplify their research.

What is Soundbox’s role?

Soundbox can provide logistical, institutional and, in many cases,
financial support for staging provocations. We are also open to proposals
that need collaborators, in which the Soundbox team takes a more integral
part in planning and implementation.

Our primary role, though, will be as curators of the final web-based
collection. We will provide the necessary tools to help you document your
provocation and will edit and organize the collection’s critical apparatus.
We will also ensure the long-term preservation of the materials included in
the digital collection.

Eligibility:

Anyone with an interest in sound, especially as it pertains to digital
environments, is welcome to submit a proposal for a provocation. This
includes artists, scholars, librarians, museum professionals, audio
engineers and musicians. We especially welcome projects and collaborators
whose work would not fit into a traditional academic or print publication.

Application Process:

To submit a proposal for a provocation, please provide us with a
description of your proposed project. Be sure to include:

-- a statement outlining your plans and ideas for incorporating sound;
i.e., how does your project provoke new insights into the intersection of
-- sound and scholarship?
-- a project timeline
-- any relevant details regarding the staging of the provocation (location,
if it’s an event; duration, if it’s an installation; length, if it’s a
composition)
-- resources you may need
-- a brief biography of all participants

Soundbox has some limited funds available to help with costs related to
staging a provocation (supplies, renting space, honoraria, travel). These
funds are open to negotiation, and will be discussed on a
project-by-project basis. If you anticipate needing financial support for
your provocation, please include a budget detailing what you’ll need money
for, how much, and why. Note that provocations will be evaluated on their
intellectual merit, not the extent of their financial needs.

We have not set a minimum or maximum length for proposals but suggest
around 2-3 pages. Please append any other materials (sketches, URLs, etc.)
that you think may help us evaluate the scope and significance of your
project. Use it to start a conversation with us.

Send all materials as an attachment to soundboxproject at gmail.com by April
1st. Authors of successful proposals will be notified by April 10th.

We encourage you to get in touch with any questions at any point in the
application process: soundboxproject at gmail.com.

------------------
What is Soundbox?

http://sites.fhi.duke.edu/soundbox

Soundbox is a collaborative project by three doctoral students at Duke
University that aims to enhance the practice of using sound in scholarly
productions. This two-year enterprise is funded by a generous grant from
the PhD Lab in Digital Knowledge at the Franklin Humanities Institute at
Duke University.

The project is inspired by two needs, one theoretical and the other
practical. In practical terms, the interdisciplinary field of sound studies
has flourished apace with the digital turn, yet sound still remains absent
in many publications dedicated to its study. Even digital sound studies
publications tend to be text-centric as scholars struggle to find the right
players and tools for their projects. We expect that a technological
innovation, however minor, will improve the prospects of using audio to
augment and produce scholarship.

As an intellectual endeavor, this project puts pressure on the conventions
of academic argumentation as well as genres of web-based writing. What if
it were possible to make arguments about sound using sound itself?
Soundbox envisions possibilities to play with and experience sound in a way
that enables a critical and creative engagement with multimedia. Thus,
while this project will make it possible technically for scholars to argue
with sound, it also thinks outside the (sound)box, pursuing experimental
interventions that exceed the limits of argumentation as a mode.