[Humanist] 26.832 why the asterisks?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 1 07:39:16 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:48:01 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: rampant asteriskism

A question, perhaps a matter of a viral stylistic perversion, perhaps a
merely technological change. Within the last month or so I have noticed
that some messages to Humanist come adorned with asterisks, often
suggesting that a tag for emphasis is intended but used so often that
only annoyance results. I delete them but would rather not have this
work to do. Hoping for their sudden disappearance is likely to be in
vain, but an explanation would provide at least temporary comfort. Any
ideas?

London; Professor, School of Humanities and Communication Arts,
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist (dhhumanist.org);
www.mccarty.org.uk/