[Humanist] 26.830 eBook platforms

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 1 07:36:56 CET 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>                             (38)
        Subject: Re:  26.827 eBook platforms?

  [2]   From:    "Lisa L. Spangenberg"                                     (11)
                <medievalist at digitalmedievalist.com>
        Subject: Re:  26.827 eBook platforms? database? Arabic OCR?
                Leeuwenhoek & Swift?

        Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 06:57:01 -0600
        From: John Laudun <jlaudun at mac.com>

Dear Michelle,

Many readers of this list will, like me, probably want to know what you mean by your use of "serious" in various contexts

> serious eBooks
> serious History monograph
> serious digital publications

as it may very well prove an important qualifier.

As to software ... for simple eBook production, Scrivener (originally Mac only, but now also available for Windows, I believe) is quite capable not only of producing complex documents -- it is used by novelists, scholars, and journalists alike -- but also of producing fairly clean eBooks. I believe Apple's Pages now also exports to epub format, as does, of course, its recently released iBook Author.

The ePub format is a great place to start, because you can always roll up your sleeves later in the production process and work with the code itself.

best,

john laudun

--
John Laudun