[Humanist] 27.156 the academy, the internet, surveillance

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 26 22:16:14 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 10:46:02 +0900
        From: Charles Muller <acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 27.152 the academy, the internet, surveillance?

Victoria Scott wrote:

>          Subject: Academic Freedom, the Internet, and the Crisis in Higher Education in the Age of Mass Electronic Surveillance
>

> Hello!
>
> I am just beginning to do some research around this topic, and I am
> wondering if anyone might be able to suggest some readings. In short I am
> looking for the Humboldt of the Internet.

I suggest you take a look at Jaron Lanier's most recent work: "Who Owns
the Future"

http://www.amazon.com/Who-Owns-Future-Jaron-Lanier/dp/1451654960

You may know Jaron Lanier as the creator of the term "Virtual Reality"
and one of the early Open Source figures. He doesn't believe that the
current structure of the web is economically sustainable, and he has
much to say about surveillance. For Lanier, the culprits are not the
CIA/NSA, but Google, Yahoo Facebook, Microsoft (the operators of the
"Siren Servers"), etc., themselves.

Chuck

--

A. Charles Muller

Graduate School of Humanities and Sociology
Faculty of Letters
University of Tokyo
7-3-1 Hongō, Bunkyō-ku
Tokyo 113-8654, Japan