[Humanist] 27.150 is no one curious?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jun 24 23:04:43 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 06:51:15 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: unintentional, serendipitous research

In the Chronicle of Higher Education for 23 June, Julio Alves writes in
praise of "Unintentional Knowledge: What we find when we're not looking"
(http://chronicle.com/article/Unintentional-Knowledge/139891/?cid=cr&utm_source=cr&utm_medium=en).
He documents the changes in library usage at his institution, from
dependence on printed materials to online, but with that shift he notes
increasing conformity of students' research to that which can be found
by subject- (and presumably discipline-) specific searching. Happy
accidents in the stacks -- going for one book and finding another, and
another unexpectedly -- don't tend to happen any longer, he says.

My experience with online searching, which I do every day of the week,
every week of every year, is so much the opposite that I wonder at the
cause of this conformity. When I was doing my doctoral research I knew
to nose around in the English literature stacks, and those for classics
and biblical studies, and so often did. I ventured out, e.g. into the
social sciences, history et al when a title came up, but otherwise my
prowlings were rather limited. (No wonder it took me 8 years to complete
my degree....) Now the situation is much worse (better). I am often
adrift in a vast ocean of digital stuff, blown this way and that by every
promising trade wind that happens to blow. Frequently I am frantically
trying not to be blown onto shores of fascinating new riches. I may sink
with all the treasure I have loaded on board before I get a chance even
to finger it.

This is to say nothing about my profligacy of book-buying that is a direct
consequence of digital serendipity. Amazon Prime, one-click option
turned on, of course.

In other words, I think an inculcated narrowness of mind is the problem,
not our marvellous online resources. I think the disciplinary blinkers
that Greg Dening thundered about are the problem. I think our professors
are failing to understand that the times are not just changing now but
have already done quite a lot of changing. And, perhaps most seriously
of all, I think all the pernicious nonsense about universities training
for jobs by giving students transferable skills has done deep damage.
For shame, Paymasters!

What do I need to read, boss? May I punch out now and go home to my
telly, beer and chips?

Comments?

London; Professor, Research Group in Digital Humanities, University of
Western Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist (dhhumanist.org);
www.mccarty.org.uk/