[Humanist] 27.149 events: network analysis for archaeologists and historians

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jun 24 22:57:10 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 07:49:17 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Tom Brughmans <tom.brughmans at yahoo.com>
        Subject: The Connected Past: September Workshop Announcement

Workshop
Announcement:
THE CONNECTED
PAST: NETWORK ANALYSIS FOR ARCHAEOLOGISTS AND HISTORIANS

Networks offer one of the newest and most exciting approaches to
archaeological and historical data analysis, and over the last two years,
the The Connected Past team has brought together scholars from across the
globe to discuss their research, with a session at Birmingham TAG 2011, the
Southampton conference in March 2012, a session at the SAAs in Hawaii in
April this year, and a collaboration with HESTIA this coming July.
http://connectedpast.soton.ac.uk/

But we're also aware that starting to do network analysis isn't always easy.
It can be difficult to know which software to use, how to present data, what
questions to ask, and what results really show. Because it's hard for
researchers at all levels who are starting to think about network analysis,
we are delighted to announce that we have put together a programme for a
two-day practical workshop at the University of Southampton on 17-18
September 2013.

THE CONNECTED PAST: NETWORKANALYSIS FOR ARCHAEOLOGISTS AND HISTORIANS

Programme:

Tuesday 17th September
Morning:
* Introduction to networks in archaeology and history
* Preparing data for network analysis
* network creation and visualisation
Lunch
* Archaeological and historical case studies
* Round table discussion
Reception at the Institute for
Complex Systems Simulation

Wednesday 18th September
Morning:
* Network analysis software
* Analysing network structure
Lunch
* What method to use?
* Geographical network techniques
* Issues in archaeological and historical network analysis
Tutors:
* Andy Bevan (UCL)
* Tom Brughmans (Southampton)
* Anna Collar (McDonald Institute, Cambridge)
* Fiona Coward (Bournemouth)
* Marten Düring (Nijmegen)
* Claire Lemercier (Sciences-Po, Paris)
 * Angus Mol (Leiden)

The cost of the workshop is £20. PLACES ARE LIMITEDTO 20. To register your
interest, please email connectedpast at soton.ac.uk with a short statement
detailing why you want to participate. We will be in touch once the
registration deadline (22nd July) has passed.
http://connectedpast.soton.ac.uk/workshop-2013/

In addition, for those who want to overdose on networks, Southampton will
also be hosting  the 12th Mathematics of Networks meeting:
http://www.monmeetings.org/meeting12/ on 16th September. It’s very
multi-disciplinary, with a focus on social science applications and the
technical side of things.
Best wishes,

Anna Collar, Tom Brughmans, and
Fiona Coward