[Humanist] 27.142 on reading: format; distance

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 20 22:06:39 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Mark Wolff <wolffm0 at hartwick.edu>                         (95)
        Subject: Re:  27.139 format and experience in reading?

  [2]   From:    Rick Frank <rickf at dufferinresearch.com>                   (23)
        Subject: RE:  27.132 pubs: distant reading, open access

        Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 23:20:28 -0400
        From: Mark Wolff <wolffm0 at hartwick.edu>

I think these ruminations are especially relevant to teaching US undergraduates today, the so-called Digital Natives who were born after 1992.  Many of these students are quite comfortable using social media but they often struggle reading anything more than 140 characters.  They have learned a technique of reading that is a hybrid of Google searches and high school textbooks.  Given a reading assignment and a list of questions to guide them as they read, they are very good at scanning the text looking for relevant sections that answer the questions, reproducing oracular passages, and moving on.  When queried in class about what they had read, they refer to their answers and think they have finished the task.  They have trouble synthesizing different pieces of information into a coherent interpretative framework of their own.

To teach these students, we need to make them aware of how they read when they read so that they can critically assess what they are doing with a text.  One approach is to practice both close and distant reading with them and show how both methods of reading can complement each other.  For many students, generating word lists and visualizations to look for patterns is an activity as alien as an explication de texte.  Students often need to unlearn looking for an apparent answer (what Google provides) in order to question a text and what it can mean.  I think we can productively teach students with the friction between the codex and the digital.

mw

--
Mark B. Wolff
Associate Professor of French