[Humanist] 27.133 computationalists and humanists

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 19 22:09:47 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 21:28:13 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>
        Subject: Re:  27.125 computationalists and humanists

A wonderful post, but Kleist was an outlier in more than one way and the
odds of increasing the number of people who can do calculus and write
verse is quite small. And coming from a somewhat different there is a
colleague who once said something like "the problem of the Digital
Humanities is that there are very few problems that humanists find useful
and computer scientists find interesting." A lot of good projects have
probably been done by folks from different parts of the aisle whose
private views about the other are not necessarily printable.

At a practical and institutional level, it may well be that good solutions
will come from renegotiating traditional ways of dividing work among
academic departments, libraries, and IT departments.  Adenauer is supposed
to have said "Man muss die Menschen nehmen wie sie kommen, denn es gibt
keine anderen" or "you have to take people as they come because there are
no others." And people as they come tend to be very much on one side or
the other. So we need to find institutional solutions that make them work
together in tolerable harmony.

There is a charming quote about diplomatics in Wikipedia: Christopher
Brooke  a distinguished teacher of diplomatics, referred to the reputation
of the discipline in 1970 as that of "a formidable and dismal science ...
a kind of game played by a few scholars, most of them medievalists,
harmless so long as it does not dominate or obscure historical enquiry;
or, perhaps, most commonly of all, an aid to understanding of considerable
use to scholars and research students if only they had time to spare from
more serious pursuits".

Quite a few of the current problems of DH are captured in that remark. And
come to think of it, a lot of digital humanists started as medievalists.

Martin Mueller

Professor of English and Classics
Northwestern University

On 6/16/13 3:03 PM, "Humanist Discussion Group"