[Humanist] 27.119 computationalists and humanists

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 12 22:12:59 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 04:46:17 +0000
        From: James Smithies <james.smithies at canterbury.ac.nz>
        Subject: RE:  27.116 computationalists and humanists

This particular binary distinction has always interested me: when I was working in government IT I found some colleagues thought academic computer scientists were hopelessly 'soft'; when I worked in commercial IT I found colleagues who sneered at government IT workers for the same reason; now I'm back in the academic (digital) humanities this message has reminded that I'm probably considered one of the 'softest' of them all in some circles (if only as a subset of 'all academics'). Aside from reminding me how unreconstructed large portions of society are, it gladdens me to know that technology does nothing to alter basic human short-comings related to in-group politics.

Regards,
James

Coordinator and Senior Lecturer in Digital Humanities
Assoc. Director, UC CEISMIC Digital Archive
University of Canterbury
Te Whare Wānanga o Waitaha
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch, New Zealand