[Humanist] 27.116 computationalists and humanists

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 12 03:00:09 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 07:18:24 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: computationalists and humanists

It's good to have Mark Finlayson's commentary on the topic of
Computational Models of Narrative in Humanist 27.112. I have only one
small bone to pick: his distinction between computationalists and
humanists. I wonder on which side of that divide digital humanists
are supposed to be?

As happens from time to time, last year I had the chance to have a
number of very interesting discussions with a computer scientist (on the
AI side of things), in which I attempted to demonstrate to him that us
folks from digital humanities were not, as he kept saying, "soft". I
wasn't trying to side with those who are "hard", which clearly he
thought computer scientists were (not, by the way, physicist Richard
Feynman's view of computer science at all), rather to do away with the
old hard/soft sexist vocabulary of the now badly worn distinction
between the sciences and the humanities. (To anyone with an eye for
metaphor it's really difficult to believe that an academic in this 21st
Century of ours would be talking of hard and soft except to his doctor :-),
but I am here to tell you it happens!) But this is not to connect that
vocabulary to Finlayson's note, not at all. My point is that again such
a clear-cut division, however metaphorized, isn't helpful.

As Natalia Cecire has written, the central problematic in humanities
plus computing is that plus. Take it away, by placing the two on either
side of a great divide, and you've lost the point of it all.

Comments?

London; Professor, Research Group in Digital Humanities, University of
Western Sydney; Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews
(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist (dhhumanist.org);
www.mccarty.org.uk/