[Humanist] 27.112 cfp for LLC on computational models of narrative

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jun 10 22:56:29 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 23:23:40 -0400
        From: Mark Finlayson <markaf at MIT.EDU>
        Subject: Re: 27.100 on the cfp for LLC, computational models of narrative

Thanks, Martin and Chris, for starting a discussion on this.

The hope of the Computational Models of Narrative venues is that
computationalists and humanists (and many others besides) can engage,
not as enemies, but as colleagues both focused on the same goal:
advancing our understanding of narrative.  Narrative is a complex,
multifaceted phenomenon, touching diverse disciplines.  There are many
computationalists who work on narrative, desperate for engagement and
guidance from humanists.  Unfortunately, the computationalists all too
often find their pleas rebuffed.  Us computationalists, being a somewhat
stubborn species, and refusing to be dissuaded, then muddle along as
best we can.  This produces work that is interesting to
computationalists but often inadequate for humanists, leading to more
disengagement between the two fields--a vicious cycle.

I believe that both computationalists and humanists have something
unique and important to bring to the study of narrative, and together we
can accomplish something that neither discipline could accomplish alone.

As with most interdisciplinary work, one major challenge is to find
problems that are interesting to both parties.  Because of the nascent
state of our tools and understanding, computationalists often work at a
level that holds little interest to humanists; humanists, on the other
hand, work on problems that are often far too complex to model
computationally anytime soon.  What we need are humanists who can see
the long-term potential of this collaboration, who are confident that we
can find problems that are valuable to both sides, and are willing to
engage with the computationalists to find those problems and tackle them.

Regarding the statement that has raised some hackles: it is my own, not
Simon's, but I did paraphrase Simon in its construction.  My intention
was to justify attention to computation viz-a-viz narrative, and to do
it in a somewhat grandiose way that would stimulate thought.  The
intention was not to be polemic, narrow, aggressive, imperialistic,
possessive, or exclusionary.  I happen to believe the statement I made,
and believe it should not be seen as a threat by humanists; but I
understand others disagree, or partially agree but would like to
clarify, qualify, or reformulate it.  This is a valuable discussion that
I think is important to have.  I believe, with engagement from
humanists, that the Computational Models of Narrative venues (workshop
and LLC issue) are opportune places to have this discussion.

Mark Finlayson
markaf at mit.edu