[Humanist] 27.103 open access

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jun 7 22:18:00 CEST 2013

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 07:58:28 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Laval Hunsucker <amoinsde at yahoo.com>
        Subject: (Digital) greening of the humanities

May I just quickly point out that the just-out 6 June issue of Times
Higher Education contains, I notice, an opinion piece ( entitled
"Green-eyed, no monster" ) by Gabriel Egan, director of the
Centre for Textual Studies at De Montfort University, arguing
"that the move to open access is desirable and inevitable for the
arts as well as the sciences".  [ By "the arts" he here means, in
accord with the not infrequent British usage, what many of us
would normally call "the humanities", in general. ]

Not unusually radical or visionary in formulation, but a strong
plea, and one whose appearance some folks here might want to
take note of, in any case.

- Laval Hunsucker
  Breukelen, Nederland